So, what can we expect in 2020 when it comes to beauty trends?
After much research, these are the key new looks for the brand-new decade. Laminated eyebrows, overdrawn lips and hair that looks like you just got out of bed are some of the hottest beauty trends for the coming year.
Also, matte-finish foundation, cream blush and exaggerated lip liner are making a comeback just in time for Spring / Summer. But this time you’ll need to draw the parameter of your pout a few shades lighter than your lipstick.
Here are the top 6 looks.
HALF-UP HALF-DOWN HAIR
- Since Beyonce proclaimed to have ‘woken up like this’ in 2013, demand for ‘no makeup, makeup’ looks and effortless ‘bed head’ hairstyles has skyrocketed. The trend is set to continue in 2020, when half-up half-down top knots and ponytails will start to emerge. The Hun – half bun – is a good start.
- Fluffy, brushed-out eyebrows will replace the ultra-polished ‘block’ brow of 2019. Women are achieving this highly defined look with a treatment which involves ‘laminating’ brows for a fuller, thicker texture, by applying a solution and pushing hair upwards so all strands are facing the same way. The practice, which is believed to have originated in Russia, is already wildly popular across Europe. The process takes less than 50 minutes and costs around £100 per session, on average.
- Exaggerated, overdrawn lips are making a comeback – but this time round, you’ll need to draw the parameter of your pout with liner a few shades lighter than your lipstick itself. The slightly overdrawn lip is set to be the order of the season this summer, giving the illusion of plumper, fuller lips with a softly defined cupid’s bow. Shades like sand, caramel and nude are on trend for the coming season, which is great news for your bank balance because these versatile hues go with almost any lip colour.
- While powder-based, matte foundation is associated with a caked, heavy and lacklustre finish, a new wave of liquid matte formulas spread across the skin like butter, creating a soft, creamy complexion that mimics real skin. Low-sheen, satin finish foundations are a great option for anyone with large pores or oily skin, thanks to their low content of oil and other pore-clogging ingredients.
- Hailed by beauty journalists as the ‘quickest trick for faking dewy, youthful radiance’, cream blush is back, offering more deeply defined cheekbones and shimmering complexions than ever before. Unlike powders and pigments, which are prone to caking, cream blush blends easily and sinks gently into the face, creating a seamless finish that looks like natural skin.
GLITTER EYESHADOW AND CUT CREASES
- Retro eyeshadow, inspired by the early 1970s disco era, is enjoying a rebirth, with bright pops of colour like blue and purple, smudged kohl eyeliner and all-over glitter some of the biggest styles for the coming year. The over-the-top trend means beauty lovers can get creative with their makeup – so applying eyeshadow with your finger is also acceptable for the first time in years. The striking ‘cut crease’, which involves using different shades of eye shadow to cut across the eyelid, creating a sharp contrast in colour, is set to be the statement look of 2020.